Wednesday 18 June 2014

Experience as a coach


have participated in about 30 coaching session until now and I see it as an exciting and rewarding experience in my life. After each coaching session, I realize that I discover spark ideas which I never thought off. This happens in every coaching and now I really believe in the power of coaching. I have even took immediate action after some coaching session with peers.

Since I am an educator in school, I have applied some coaching power tools and empowering coaching techniques when dealing with my students. This indeed produce noticeable changes in their response and behavior. It definitely help to improve the relationship apart from solving the issue. I' m glad to join the coaching program and will continue to learn more through out this coaching journey.

What I've learn as a Coach

I've finally figured out the difference between life coaching and training. It has been a remarkable experience to coach someone for the first time. The joy lies in discovering the right tool and technique of coaching and apply the method correctly on the client. Initially, I encountered some resistance to identify the right powerful questions to utter at the right instances. I recognize that this is the most crucial part of coaching and determined to acquire it through self mastery along this wonderful coaching journey.

             The first significant thing that I learnt is the difference between coaching and other helping intervention. Personally, I see coaching as a brilliant approach to solve an issue by triggering a person to discover their own solution and raise their self awareness to win the inner game. Leadership style as a collaborator and the longer term engagement accentuate the role of a coach and show beyond doubt that a coach must be passionate and committed at all time.

             Secondly, I have learnt to apply 11 coaching competencies appertaining the guideline set by International Coaching Federation. It begin with complying ethical conduct and professional standards, establishing the coaching agreement, establishing trust and intimacy with the client, acknowledge coaching presence, maneuver the conversation with active listening, powerful questioning and direct communication, scheme out designing action, planning and goal setting and managing progress and accountability.

             Next, I recognize some questions that can be used throughout the coaching session. However, the questions will only emerge as powerful question when it is said at the right moment. Casting a wrong question will only exaggerate the impact on the client.

             Last but not least, I have learnt that to be a good coach, I must be a good self-coach. I must be able to set personal goals, link values to my progress, seek self development and monitor results as often I could. Since coaching is fast becoming accepted among public today and considered as useful tool in building up the critical mass of capable leaders and executives, i could see myself shine as a successful coach one day.


No comments:

Post a Comment